John Deere 1010 Series Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
John Deere 1010 Series Tractors

A Place for fans of the antique 1010 Series tractors to call home

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New to Tractor Repair and JD1010

Go down 
AuthorMessage
King George
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

New to Tractor Repair and JD1010 Empty
PostSubject: New to Tractor Repair and JD1010   New to Tractor Repair and JD1010 EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 10:55 am

I recently volunteered to repair my wife's cousin JD 1010 (1965 RUS, serial 43703, located in Lugoff, SC) for use on his property. Bush hogging primarily and some ag work. I'm seeking advice on plan to get it to start smoothly and run well.
The tractor does start, albeit poorly, and runs. I replaced the leaky water pump, plugs and leads (goat chewed!), checked points. Am sure it needs full ignition kit and very likely a coil. Will also be rebuilding carb. My job keeps me out of town, so I'm looking to get info and parts at this point. Will do the work when at home several months from now.
Am thinking of bypassing ignition kit and moving directly to electronic ignition, hi voltage coil. Any recommendations/thoughts?
Can I get by with carb rebuild vice replacement? Dead certain it hasn't been touched in years. Ethanol diluted gas can't be good for it either. Regret I don't know model of carb.
Any recommendation re a shop manual? I see the JD reproductions are pricey. I need to read up on checking the ignition timing.
Will be pulling valve cover to set valves while I'd doing ignition and carb work. If dirt any guide, hasn't been done in a long time.
Smokes while running; suspect ring job in the future, when I've got a lot of time.
I'm a reasonably skilled backyard mechanic. I keep 1983 JD lawn mower going, as well as older cars and a 6HP outboard motor. I'm good enough to do OBDII work and replace Mazda Miata timing belts. Did full overhaul of Jeep engine years ago.
Overjoyed to find this site!!

Back to top Go down
King George
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

New to Tractor Repair and JD1010 Empty
PostSubject: Update to earlier post   New to Tractor Repair and JD1010 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 9:58 am

Got an unexpected chance to do more repairs: installed new points and Pertronixs high voltage coil. Also installed correct capacity battery. Tractor started right up, and now runs okay. Pressure washed it; now I can find components. Installed new ignition switch, and watched dirt pour out of old one. Checked out wiring harness, finding some faults to be repaired, but no major replacement needed. Oil change, air filter cleaning and grease next, along with brake adjustment.
Back to top Go down

New to Tractor Repair and JD1010
Page 1 of 1