John Deere 1010 Series Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
John Deere 1010 Series Tractors

A Place for fans of the antique 1010 Series tractors to call home

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

pto lever adjustment access hole

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
aartod
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

pto lever adjustment access hole Empty
PostSubject: pto lever adjustment access hole   pto lever adjustment access hole EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 2:34 am

Hello, I have a question for you all... I have a 1964 1010u and I just got it fired up for the first time in years and I opened the large "drum plug" on the side of the case that is for the pto lever adjustment access and ALOT of water and gear oil and sludge came rushing out everywhere. I have been researching my operators manual and I cant find anywhere where it says weather or not there should be gear oil or any form of oil in there at all. That section of the frame seems to be isolated from the transmission cavity and the clutch cavity as well. I opened the access hole for the clutch area and it was dry inside (as it should be).... so, should the cavity in the pto adjustment hole have gear oil in it, or should it be dry like the clutch cavity? I have no idea how it became full of so much water, it was stored in a carport type area and as far as I know the previous owner probably operated it with the water/oil/mud mixture in it for years. It has been sitting for over 2 years rotting away....
Back to top Go down
JD 1010 RU
Admin
Founder
Admin  Founder
JD 1010 RU

PostSubject: Re: pto lever adjustment access hole   pto lever adjustment access hole EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 11:32 am

Hi, I have a 1964 1010RU and as far as I know it should be full with fluid, My PTO handle where it goes into the case has a small leak and according to the parts book there is a “oil seal” where the handle enters the right side of the case,
I think it gets the fluid from the transmission. Im out of town but I’ll do some research and see what i can find out monday. below are a few picks of how my PTO hande is set up.

pto lever adjustment access hole 1z17bd5
pto lever adjustment access hole X6bdk7
Back to top Go down
https://1010series.forumotion.com
aartod
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: pto lever adjustment access hole   pto lever adjustment access hole EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 12:37 pm

that would be great... actually i have a 1010u, so I dont have a pto clutch lever.... however, on the opposite side from the lever there is a large (about 2") "drum plug" that is supposed to be the access hole for the adjustment for the pto clutch lever (on the models that have them), that is where all the water came out. I was looking last night, there appears to be a drain plug (i think) for this area, but like i said, i cant find any where where it would say if there was suppposed to be oil in there, or what kind, or how much. Just to be clear, it is the space in the frame just in front of the trans, but not the clutch cavity.
Back to top Go down
JD 1010 RU
Admin
Founder
Admin  Founder
JD 1010 RU

PostSubject: Re: pto lever adjustment access hole   pto lever adjustment access hole EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Hey aartod, Keep in mind that this is based off my 1964 1010 RU (Row crop utility)

Well I check the two holes on the side of the center frame and if you look at the pics below you will see that the Very large opening has no fluid in there, when I look inside it appears to be a drive shaft, could be the PTO shaft or it could be the something to do with the Driving clutch.

And in the smaller of the two holes mine is filled with fluid, the fluid level was just below the hole opening. This is the location of the PTO clutch and gears. It is also located underneath the Hydraulic pump area so it may also contain the gears to drive the hydraulic pump.

I search my repair and operators manual and just like you I could not find any info about fluids so I’m assuming that it is somehow tied into the transmission fluid. I do know that my 1010 RU transmission holds about 5 gallons of fluid.

So again, yes mine also has fluid in that area.

pto lever adjustment access hole 281eexd
pto lever adjustment access hole 2drcbrc
pto lever adjustment access hole 20f3qt2

Back to top Go down
https://1010series.forumotion.com
aartod
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: pto lever adjustment access hole   pto lever adjustment access hole EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 9:28 pm

thanks, Yes the smaller of the two was what I was refering to... The large hole on mine was empty and some what dry (just condensation), but the smaller one had the water/oil mud combo in it. I guess I will have to completly drain it and refill it! As for now, I discovered a new problem, my clutch is stuck and wont disengage... so, for now I suppose that is the larger issue! Thanks for the info, the owners manual seems to be lacking quite a bit of info!
Back to top Go down
aartod
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: pto lever adjustment access hole   pto lever adjustment access hole EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 12:19 am

I got the clutch free'd... I wrapped a tow strap around a stump and started the 1010 in gear and pulled on it with the clutch engaged and it broke free! so glad to not have to split the tractor in half... good thing because tomorrow I have to use the beast to move some dirt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pto lever adjustment access hole   pto lever adjustment access hole Empty

Back to top Go down

pto lever adjustment access hole
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
John Deere 1010 Series Tractors :: 1010 Series :: 1010 Tractor Series General Discussion-
Jump to: