John Deere 1010 Series Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
John Deere 1010 Series Tractors

A Place for fans of the antique 1010 Series tractors to call home

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steering Gear Issues

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
RCJ
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Steering Gear Issues Empty
PostSubject: Steering Gear Issues   Steering Gear Issues EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 3:23 pm

I posted earlier about the issues with my 1965 steering gear. I have manual steering. Does anyone have power steering and has not experienced failure of the pins or worm gear? I'm wondering if the manual steering may contribute to the failure of these parts.
Back to top Go down
Old Farm Kid
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Steering Gear Issues   Steering Gear Issues EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 10:37 am

I have a 1965 with power steering. Never had a problem with the steering gear. It got a lot of heavy use when it was still on the farm (used a lot with a loader and in tight quarters inside greenhouses), but since its retirement, it has been sitting resting in my garage. One strange thing about my tractor is that the steering housing does not have a drain plug, unlike earlier versions. The casting has a location for it but it was never drilled and tapped. Another issue is that the steering housing requires SAE 140 multipurpose lubricant, while the power steering cylinder housing requires SAE 80 multipurpose lubricant. (I accidently added SAE 80 to the housing requiring SAE 140., see previous post.)
Back to top Go down
RCJ
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Steering Gear issues   Steering Gear Issues EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks for the reply and information. I suspected that power steering might lessen wear on the gear and pins. I use my tractor for plowing snow and planting food plots for the deer so it gets a little use, but not that much. It works great except for the steering issues. Maybe I can find a parts tractor with power steering and change out the manual steering.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering Gear Issues   Steering Gear Issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering Gear Issues
Page 1 of 1